Monday, April 1, 2019

A Final Lesson from Teacher John Buriff

John and one of his great-grandchildren
When Brian arrived in Oregon last week to see his dad one final time, he asked him what lesson he asked him to imagine he was back in his High School classroom and teaching one final lesson to his students.  Here is what he had to say.     

Ok class, this is the last lesson that I can offer you. 

First let me say that you are all great students. I have learned over the years that many of you have excelled and applied yourselves and ended up in a good position in life and work. I have fond memories of our time together at Red Bluff High School. I could name so many of you individually who demonstrated an eagerness to learn. It was your eagerness and thirst to learn that made teaching so special for me. 

My final lesson that I can impart is this: The life you live and every day you live it is important. The decisions you made years ago have made a big difference in who you are today. And the decisions you make today will make a big difference in who you are tomorrow. 

Most importantly invest as much energy into your spiritual life and faith in God as you do in matters of this physical life. Life will never be smooth and when things upset and challenge you, learn to find peace and to be forgiving. 

Again I am proud of each of you may students. I can agree with 2 Timothy 4:7-8 that I have fought the fight, I have finished the race and I have kept the faith. And now there is in store for me that crown of righteousness, which the Lord, my righteous Judge, will award me on that day – and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for His appearing. 

--- John Buriff 

No comments:

Post a Comment