Friday, December 7, 2018

Mile Markers

Its been an eventful week around here.  So eventful that it got right past me without my notice until I got a few messages of congratulations that made me go, "oh wow, its been TWO YEARS already?""   Where does time go?   Two years ago I began a new chapter in my life.  It was actually a bit more than two years ago, but it was all "official" two years ago.  That was when I began working for 88 Tactical of Ohio. 

Sometimes I still sit back and wonder how in the world I got there.  I sure didn't plan it. Not by any means.  And it surprised a lot of people, but none more than me! 

When I found out that I would be working at the new range in town (another long story), I told a friend of mine that I would be working there.  He responded, "Oh, you'll be working with Phil Chaney." 

"Who?"

"Phil Chaney."

"Never heard of him."

"Oh he's this big tactical guy."

"Ah, he's probably a jerk." 

We all have met guys like that, right?  They think they are all that.  They are a dime a dozen and I am not impressed with them much at all  Then I went to work at the range and found a copy of Phil's bio laying around.  It mentioned things like "Retired Marine Chief Warrant Officer 3 with over 25 years of specialized training and instruction."   It mentioned that he had been hand selected to train Force Recon Marines.  It stated that he was the Special Missions Close Quarters Battle Instructor for the 1st Special Operations Training Group and the Chief Instructor for the Close Quarters Battle Sections for MCSF. 
 Somewhere it also mentioned that he had earned the Bronze Star w/ “Valor” device (OEF), Navy/Marine Corps Achievement Medal w/ “Valor” device (OIF), Meritorious Service Medal (OIF), and Navy /Marine Corps Commendation Medal.  It also talked about how he was the Chief Instructor for the Ohio Tactical Officers Association and was responsible for training SWAT in Ohio. 

And I thought, "Wow, he really is a big tactical guy.  In fact, he's the real deal He's the guy all those other guys want to be." 

The first thing I did was to schedule him as a guest speaker at our TWAW meeting. He agreed!  Then I got a call from the range telling me that he was really sorry but he would not be able to be there because he would be in New York training the NYPD but that he would be there the following month. 

WHAAATT??  He's doing WHAT?  Who does that? 

The next thing I did was to make it my priority to get in to as much training with this guy as possible.  I figured I that someone like him wouldn't be around here too  long so I'd better get some training with him when I could. 

And I found out that not only is he a true American hero (he will kill me if he reads this) and not only is he a phenomenal teacher, but he is a truly nice guy.  In fact, he is surprisingly soft spoken and kind. 

So imagine my utter surprise when he asked if I wanted to work for him at 88 Tactical.  I think I vaguely remember saying , "yeahhhhh... is that a real question??"   That was in late October and in December I received the blue patch as an Apprentice. 

88 Tactical works on a colored patch system, much like martial arts.  Blue is Apprentice.  Green is Instructor.  Tan is Lead Instructor.  And Black is Senior Instructor. 

There are some amazing guys on our team.  Some Special Operations guy, some SWAT guys, one Ninja (he is actually a ninja and goes to Japan to study with the Masters and is a 10th degree Black Belt in whatever martial arts the Ninjas do).  We have an amazing Tac Med guy who wrote the curriculum that SWAT in Ohio uses for Tactical Medicine.  And then there is me - a 56 year old grandma.  Ha! 
The 88 Tactical Leadership Team


To be honest, it took me a good 6 months to get my head around the idea of working with those guys.  It was an honor. It was a blessing. And it was terrifying!   I got some grief from some people who felt like they were more qualified and should have been chosen.  I was told that they would no longer be 88 Tactical, that they would be 87.5 because I would bring them down.  Some were joking, others not so much. 

I can tell you that no one at 88 Tactical treated me as if I didn't belong.  They have been nothing but respectful.  I've learned a lot about leadership from Phil.  He is my boss but he is more than a "boss".  He is a LEADER.  There is a difference and anyone who has ever worked for the two different varieties can tell you there is a world of difference. 

Then last December Phil surprised me at our Christmas party and presented me with a Green Patch. 

Its been a wild ride for sure.  Not only do I teach classes but I help take care of some of the administrative stuff.  Phil will call at any time with something that needs attention and I do my best to get right on it.  I've been accused of never telling him "no".  Well, actually, I have told him "no" a time or two.  But I try to limit how often I do that.  I count it a blessing to be able to work alongside such talented men and to be treated with the utmost respect by them.  They treat me as if I'm valuable and pay me well so its my pleasure to do what I can to help out.  

And THAT is why I missed the two year mark - I"M TOO BUSY!  

No comments:

Post a Comment