Thursday, July 26, 2018

Being An Apprentice

I was torn as to whether to post this on this page or on the Firearms Training page, but since this is more of a personal take on things, I thought it should go here. If your really just not that in to guns, you can move on, or stick around and you might be surprised that this is not about guns in the least.

My life as an Apprentice with 88 Tactical of Ohio began in late 2016.  I remember well the shock I felt when Phil asked if I wanted to work for him.  "Uhhhh... yeah .... is that a real question?"    Honestly, I had no idea that working for 88 Tactical was even a remote option.  There are a lot of people who would LOVE to work for 88 Tactical.   Its a sweet, sweet job.  But many of those people are not aware of the process and what it takes.  I thought I would outline that process here, at least as I understand it. 

Once you are selected as an Apprentice, and I do think you are selected.  Those who come and ask to be, usually don't make the cut.  This is an elite training organization and it basically comes down to this - if they want you, they will come and find you.   


But once you are selected, you will be given your blue patch and then, your responsibilities begin.  88 Tactical operates on a color patch system much like that of Martial Arts. 



Apprentice - Blue Patch

Instructor - Green Patch

Lead Instructor - Tan Patch

Senior Instructor - Black Patch






As an Apprentice you are to put in a minimum of 100 hours of volunteer time.  The best way to do that is to SHOW UP.  Show up and sit in on as many of the classes as you can.  Yes, you may take the classes free of charge (and you should) but show up to work as well. And here is a hint - show up often!



  • Show Up Early.  See what the Instructor needs and make sure they have it.   See what they need for the classroom and get it for them.  Find out what they need on the range and set up the targets accordingly.  Go glue the targets to the backers and when the range becomes available, set up the range according to the Instructor's needs.

  • Sit in and Listen.  Your job as an Apprentice is to listen and learn.  Learn how the classes run.  Learn the material.  Learn the range protocols.  Even if you are familiar with firearms and shooting - and even if you are already an Instructor with a different organization - listen and learn.  The training philosophy behind 88 Tactical is a bit different than you might find other places.  Everything we do is behaviorally based.  That means that we study human behavior and see how people really respond when something bad happens and then base the training off of that.  Its actually a science.  As an Apprentice you may offer assistance to a student but NEVER interrupt an Instructor.  It is generally a good practice to offer suggestions.  Even as an Instructor who is assisting another instructor in teaching, I let them lead.  I do not try to teach their class for them.  Its THEIR class.  I really believe it is important to know your place. Just having a title doesn't mean that you should take over if someone else is leading. 

  • Stay Late.  After the class is over, it is your job to clean up.  Take the targets down and put them in their proper place.  Return any rental guns to the range counter (flagged) and sweep up all brass and place it in the buckets.  Sweep up paper and place in the trash.  Make sure the range is at least as good and preferably  better than you found it.

  • Follow Up.  Follow up with the Instructor to make sure everything is done according to their liking.  We often do a debrief.  This is a good time to ask any questions about anything you saw that you had questions about.


You will do all of this for a minimum of a year.  My first year, and even to this day, I show up and do whatever I see that needs to be done.  If the trash needs taken out, take it out.  If the office needs to be cleaned, clean it.  If the old targets need to be torn off of the backers and thrown away, do it.  I'm not always sure of myself.  I mainly do stuff and hope its okay.  If its not, you'll find out, and trust me on this, the world will not come crashing down if you do something wrong.  Of course, that attitude led to a completely other job of doing the Administrative and Marketing component of the business.  Something I am not really trained for but ... I'm learning.

Being an Apprentice does not mean that you will ever be an Instructor.  You may be.  It really depends on you.  I could write out a list of dos and don'ts but really, if you need that list, you are probably not one that would be selected in the first place.  Once Phil has determined that you are right for 88 Tactical, then you will be awarded the Green Patch and made an Instructor.  No time for a big head here.  You are still here to serve.  In fact, there is probably one thing that will destroy all hope of being a part of 88 Tactical - arrogance.  If you are arrogant, or a show off, or in any way there to draw attention to yourself, you are probably not going to fly with us.

In December of 2017 I received my Green Patch.  The blue one is still my favorite.  Its my favorite because it signifies that I was selected.  Astonishingly, gratefully, selected. 




No comments:

Post a Comment