Sunday, July 29, 2018

But I Want To Do It!

I had a lot of fun teaching a CCW class  yesterday.  Well, actually, I didn't teach too much of it. Although I love teaching, and, as strange as it sounds I've come to love standing in front of a classroom full of people, I had two Apprentices assisting yesterday who also love to teach and  wanted to do a part of the class    


As the lead instructor for the class I could have just said,, "that's okay, I've got it",  but I want them to get some time in front of the class too.  Over the years I've learned (sometimes the hard way) that a good leader will make sure that their team is sharp and has everything they need to be as much of an asset to the team as possible .  

Leadership is not about elevating yourself, but about elevating others.  Too, too often I have seen leaders who want to be the visible one, the knowledgeable one, the "superior" one.  That my friends is an example of poor leadership. In fact, I dare say it is not leadership at all.  Its ego.  And ego is a destructive force within a team.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Side note about this photo*  I love this picture!  I did not take it.  Its a picture of my son leading Emma around on a pony.  I love it because its a great picture of the dad that Logan has become. I love it too because it takes me back to my childhood and to my uncle Shirley's house.  My uncle had horses and from as far back as I can remember,  this was a familiar sight.  It seems he always had one of us up on a horse and was leading us around the yard.  I loved every minute of that and count those memories as some of the best of my childhood.  When my boys were little, we took a trip back "home"and before I knew it, he had them up on  horses and was leading them around the yard.  Some things never change, and I"m glad they don't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment