Tuesday, July 31, 2018

A Few of My Favorite Things

Its raining here in Ohio today, the kind of steady rain that makes you want to stay in bed and take it easy. It has made me think of some of my favorite things.  You know, those things that feel like they wrap around you, warm your soul and just make life ... better.  I thought I would share them with you just in case you need a reminder of the good things in life.    Here are some of the things that just make me happy. I bet you like some of these things too!

Fireplaces  


Its still summer so a fireplace isn't in order today but oh man, don't you just love watching a crackling fire and relaxing at the end of a long day.   That fire can hypnotize you and make it seem like any concern just melts away.  You know what I'm talking about, right.  


Jackets

I love jackets. Dressy jackets.  Sporty jackets, Long jackets.  Hooded jackets. Rain jackets.  It doesn't matter.  I love 'em all.  They are cute and fashionable, and oh don't I just love that they hide a million flaws.  I mean really, have you ever seen anybody that doesn't look better in a jacket?  I rest my case.  I really need to live in a cooler climate so I can wear jackets every single day.   


Boots 

I have come to the conclusion that it is virtually impossible to have too many pairs of boots.  Its a fact.  I don't have nearly as many pairs as I would like to have, and in fact have my eye on a pair of pretty Lucchese cowgirl boots right now.  That reminds me, when I was a little girl I had a pair of black cowgirl boots with red and white inlays.  Man I felt like I had the world in my hands when I wore those boots.  I bet that is where this boot obsession started!  These pretty things here are going to be mine soon.  Very soon.  I mean they are even named Amberlyn so its like a law that I have to get them, right?  





Coffee Mugs

There is nothing like a good cup of coffee in a good, hearty mug.  I really like the earthy, slightly imperfect stoneware mugs.  Something about those are just more comforting than a regular coffee cup.  Oh, don't get me wrong, I like a pretty delicate cup too, but there's just no replacing the feel of a good solid stoneware mug.  On a cold day you can wrap your hands around a hot mug and suddenly life is just ... better.  

Quilts

Is there anything better than wrapping up in a soft, cozy quilt?  Something about that just makes the worst of days seem bearable. 

Did you know that my grandma Fern Davis used to make the most beautiful quilts?  She had a special talent for putting just the right colors and patterns together to make an extraordinarily beautiful quilt.  People would travel from all over the United States and pay big money for one of her quilts.  Speagle catalogue (is that even a thing anymore?) asked her to make quilts for them.  All of her kids and grandkids were lucky enough to be given at least one of her quilts and I've always been torn as to whether or not to use them.  I do.  I figure I am the last in my family that will truly appreciate them so I do use them.  It reminds me of sitting on the porch swing with her and watching her piece together a quilt.  



Front Porches

When we built our house I insisted on two things.  It had to have a fireplace (it has two) and it had to have a front porch (it also has a back porch).  I do try, not always successfully, to make a few minutes each day when the weather is right to sit out there and take a break.  Get a nice cold glass of lemonade, or a cup of coffee, and just ... be.   And if its raining like it is today its even more peaceful.  What a comforting thing to settle back in a wicker rocker and smell the rain and just watch life go by for a bit.  





Really, Really Good Chocolate

Who doesn't love chocolate?  Milk chocolate, dark chocolate, chocolate with nuts, chocolate malts, chocolate brownies, chocolate covered bacon, hot chocolate...sorry, I got a little carried away there.  If you read my earlier blog about Mr. Geary, then you know where my chocolate addiction began.  I do love just about any chocolate, but here in Ohio we have some extra special chocolate.  If you've had it, you know what I'm talking about. Esther Price chocolates!  Oh my... where to even begin.  They are a delectable treat.  One of the perks of being a pastor's family is that a local funeral home here in town gives a box of these to all of the area ministers for Christmas each year.  Brian has become good friends with that funeral director and one year the annual box of Esther Price chocolates was forgotten. He has been making it up ever since by brining a box every time he sees Brian.  If you haven't tried them, what on earth are you waiting for???  Get you some!  




And my list just wouldn't be complete without DOGS! 

Dogs are truly a blessing to mankind. I was wondering last night as I snuggled with mine, why they love humans? Its easy to see why we love dogs, they are loyal, quirky, funny, warm, and will always, always love you no matter what.  But why on earth do they love us?  Maybe that's what makes them so special  - they don't need a reason to love us, they just do. Isn't that what every single one of us is looking for? 

No comments:

Post a Comment