Wednesday, August 1, 2018

How Did This Happen? How Did Any of This Happen?



Do you ever just step back and wonder where time went and how in the world you got to where you are? 

I did that today.  I logged into Facebook and saw a picture of my two grandsons on their first day of 3rd grade.  THIRD GRADE!  How did that happen?  When did they grow up?  When did I get old enough to have grandchildren in third grade?  I don't feel old enough to have grandkids much less grandkids in 3rd grade!

It seems like yesterday we were struggling to feed them every three hours and keep up with the laundry and diapers.  It was my joy  to be able to help out my son and daughter-in-law in those early days and I often found myself staring at two little bodies in the crib and thinking, 'HOW ARE THEY WINNING??   There are three of us and two of them ... and we're bigger ... and they're winning".  Those were exhausting days.  But  I wouldn't trade one moment of those day for anything .  Not even a second.  Those were some of the best days we get to experience in life.  




And my granddaughter, who is all of six years-old was invited to try out for a gymnastics team and compete against other teams!  I'm telling ya, that girl will make it.  She has NO fear.  She is tenacious.   And she is slightly obsessed with gymnastics.  I fully expect her to rule the world one day.  

Not to get all sappy, but .... oh well, I'm may as well go right ahead and get sappy.  All of this kid growing up stuff reminds me of an old song by Wayne Watson that was popular when my boys were growing up. 

I warn you, if you are a parent, grab a 
tissue before you read one more wordAnd if you're not a parent, grab one anyway. 



There are watercolour ponies

On my refrigerator door

And the shape of something

I don't really recognize

Drawn by careful little fingers

And put proudly on display

A reminder to us all

Of how time flies

And a stairway laced with toys

Gives a blow by blow

Reminder of the war

That we fight for their well-being

For their greater understanding

To impart a holy reverence for the Lord



But baby, what will we do

When it comes back to me and you

They look a little less like little boys every day

Oh the pleasure of watching the children growing is mixed with a bitter cup

Of knowing the watercolor ponies

Will one day

Ride away

Hey, don't say I didn't warn you!   If you are a parent, know that there truly is life beyond kids.  And it can be a good life.  A really, really good life.   I loved every minute of watching my boys grow and I love every minute I get with my grandkids now, and yet, here I am today, getting ready to go teach a class full of women how to be better prepared to defend themselves.  Yes, I am a grandma and I work with Special Operations Military guys and SWAT cops doing firearms training.  Life has a way of pulling crazy tricks on you like that and taking you to places you never dreamed possible and never in a million years planned for. 

Bottom line, you have no idea what the future holds.  Don't sweat it.  Don't grieve it (too much).  Drink it up and enjoy every minute.   You're making memories that you will never ever lose ... and there are things ahead that will simply blow your mind.  



No comments:

Post a Comment